Saturday, November 10, 2012

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels

Children and Youth Services is a local agency that offers many supports for children. They offer many services for children and their families. A few of the services they offer are placement into foster care, family and individual counseling, intake services from mandated reporters, support services for children from abusive households, and help for truant students. I chose this organization because they offer a huge variety of services and they are strong advocates of children. Advocacy for children is a passion for me.

Some of the job opportunities are: Family Group Decision Making Coordinator. Some of the skills needed are ability to understand and form relationships with families, youth, and external stakeholders; excellent communication skills (written and verbal). Another job opportunity is a youth counselor. Some of the skills that are needed are excellent interpersonal skills, pass a training of safe crisis management, and facilitate group activities.
http://yorkcountypa.gov/health-human-services/children-youth-and-families/services.html

Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare is a state agency. They offer early intervention services, which is called The Pennsylvania Early Intervention program. This program is for children with developmental delays and disabilities. This program involves a community of practices including a state supported network of parents, service practitioners, and others which builds upon the natural learning opportunities that occur within the daily routines of a child and their family. I chose this agency because I currently work in early intervention and I believe strongly in the benefits of early intervention. I feel the earlier we can intervene, the better chance the child's outcome will be.

Some of the job opportunities are: Case workers and Social Services workers. The skills that are needed are communication skills, able to work unconventional hours, such as evenings and weekend, able to create good relationships with families and children.
http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/forchildren/earlyinterventionservices/index.htm

Family Child Resources is an agency in my local area, but also has agencies in other areas. They are recognized locally, statewide, and nationally.  They offer services such as intervention, education, and counseling services to children, adults, and their families. This agency interested me because of the work they do with early intervention.

Some of the job opportunities are: Counselor, Behavioral Specialist, and Social Worker. Some of the skills that are required are: must be knowledgeable in Positive Behavior Supports, Childhood Behavioral Health issues, Autism Spectrum, have strong parenting skills, knowledge of sensory integration issues and skilled in working collaboratively on grants with other agencies. http://www.f-cr.com/index.htm

4 comments:

  1. Marla,
    You clearly have a passion for advocacy and early intervention! As I'm reading through various blogs, I find myself wondering how many of us will begin seeking out such positions. Until I did this research, I did not realize that so many positions that I'm interested in (and seemingly you) involve a social work degree. I found that I did not qualify for some of the jobs that most interested me because, even with this degree, I will lack the educational requirements. Humph! It's been an interesting and enlightening experience nonetheless.
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marla, the agency on Children and Youth services is very much needed as so many families are going through a lot of stress and some parents just cannot cope and have to leave their children in foster care placement. Although this is unfortunate, I am happy that there are agancies to help these children in need.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marla,
    I enjoyed reading about the local, state, and nationsl levels of organizations that you have provided. It was very interesting to read about the state level organization and the services offered to children with delays and disabilities are tremendous. Intervention is indeed better earlier in age, as children are better prepared to succeed in life with more abundant opportunity. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marla, I enjoyed reading your local, state and national levels of organization that interest you in your area. All are very important to address the diverse needs of children in the communnity. Thanks for sharing.

    Yours for Children,
    Deborah Jones

    ReplyDelete