Saturday, October 6, 2012

Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice

When a professional experiences an 'ism' directed at them or someone close to them, it can be difficult to keep this separate from your professional life. Because I have experienced classism, when I was younger, the consequence if I were in a classroom, would be that I would be more compassionate towards the children who also experience classism.

I also have experienced ableism, when my son, who was 7 years old at the time, had hip surgery and had an external fixator in his right leg/hip. He was in a wheelchair. Again, the consequence is a positive consequence. I am understanding of a child who has special needs and needs accomodations. I have an understanding how difficult having accomodations put into place can be. I have been an advocate for other children and families who have gone through the same surgery as my son.

I would have to be careful of my own bias against others who are on the other end of the 'ism'. For example, if someone is making comments towards someone else and using 'isms' towards that peson,  I would have to put my own personal feelings and experiences aside.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with the points that you have made becaue if any of the -isms are present in your profession, then chances are, there is no way that you can effectively do your job. It places you in a situation where you will not be open-minded enough to interact with people of different cultures because your soul and emotional well being will be conflicted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post!!! I agree that your own personal experience can have a positive influence on your teaching profile. I believe that my personal experience with my children has impacted my teaching. I taught special education, but as a mother of a child with special needs and medical needs, my perspective has changed. For example, my son just had surgery on his brain in July. He had an extensive stay in the hospital. He will most likely have another surgery on Tuesday this week due to issues related to surgery. This medical experience has influenced me and my wishes to help fight against ableism. I spoke with a coordinator at the hospital and plan to volunteer to help children with school work while they are staying for extended periods in the hospital. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post! I commend your positive approach to what may be considered a negative situation. In our society I do not think we will ever teach in a society or environment that is no isms. However, our experience can turn into a learning experience for our students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your post! I agree that when you experience an "ism" as a child, that you tend to be more supportive of children that are also experiencing it. I think it is sometimes difficult to separate your personal life from the professional setting, but I have found that my students distract me enough that I can effectively carry on my responsibilities to them.

    ReplyDelete