The course, Building Research Competencies, is coming to a close and I have learned a great deal about research. The insights I have gained about research are many of the terms that I was not familiar with. Some of the terms that come to mind are triangulation, cross-section designs, and reductionism. I enjoy learning new words and I have to say this course introduced me to many new words.
My ideas about the nature of doing research has changed because now I am not as overwhelmed when I think of research. I did one major research paper in my undergraduate studies and when I first began this course, I was nervous because that paper took a great deal of time and much of it was overwhelming. I really liked how this course was laid out. The course has helped me to understand that research does not have to be overwhelming and it can actually be something to look forward to.
I learned that when planning, designing and conducting research in early childhood there are differences because most of the research that is conducted involves children. It is important to get written consent from the parents/guardians, but it is also important to get consent of the children if they are old enough. The better the relationship the researcher builds with the subject, the more accurate the results can be.
One challenge I encountered was at the beginning when I thought about my research design, I thought I had it all figured out. However, as I learned new terms and more ways of research, my design had to constantly change. I met this challenge by understanding that research develops from an idea and then it can change and has to conform to obtain the most accurate and valid results.
One perception that has been modified in regards to an early childhood professional, is the importance of the professional to stay current on research. The early childhood field is ever changing and it is not okay for a professional to work with children the way they always have worked with children. They need to change with the changing times and by keeping current on research they may find new ways of working with children.
Also, I would like to thank my colleagues for answering questions and commenting on my blogs and discussions. I have enjoyed working with you and going through this journey with you. Thank you Dr. Davis for you timely manner in grading papers. I always looked forward to the comments you gave me, which has helped me to become a better researcher.
Maria,
ReplyDeleteI too, struggle with the terms this semester. I have learned a lot from Dr. TD, and my peers. Although, I am glad the semester is short, sometimes with classes like this I wish they were a little longer. I really struggled in this class. But, I also learned a lot. Thanks to Dr. TD, for the strategies she used for us to learn about research in early childhood. I believe I can now apply what I have learned with any type of research. I thank you for all of your questions and comments and hope to see you in our next class.
Audrey