Saturday, February 4, 2012

Research Around the World

I chose the link http://www.ecdvu.org/ssa/major_reports.php to learn more about what is being researched in other countries. This link  has research papers from students who live in Sub-Saharan, Africa. Sub-Saharn, Africa is a  geographical term that refers to the area of the continent of Africa that lies south of the Sahara.

Some of the research topics that students wrote about that interested me were:
Pilot Study of the Adaptation of an Established Measure to Assess the Quality of Child Services in a Selected Orphanage in Zambia: The Inclusive Quality Assessment (IQA) Tool. http://www.ecdvu.org/ssa/documents/major_projects/Akinware%20-%20MP%20Final%20-%20Uvic%20LP.pdf

Parents’ and Other Caregivers’ Perception of Early Childhood Development Needs and Quality: A Study of the PLAN-Assisted Programmes in Bawjiase, Ghana http://www.ecdvu.org/ssa/documents/major_projects/Etse%20-%20MP%20Final%20-%20UVic%20LP.pdf

The thing I found most interesting is that many of the topics were the same as the topics we discuss in the United States and in my courses. These topics include: Involving Fathers in Early Childhood Care and Development, Improving the Quality of Childcare, and A Guide for Effective School and Parent Collaboration. The insight I gained is that although we are countries apart, we have many of the same concerns.

I also enjoyed reading through some of the research papers, since I am involved in a research simulation.

1 comment:

  1. Marla, Through this course and the course before, I have also learned that many countries have the same concerns when it comes to education. I know that there are conferences and meetings that get people together to discuss these issues, but I don't see why more people don't get together. This has definitely made me want to search for forums or other blogs to discuss the issues and concerns that our children face globally!

    ReplyDelete