This week in class we are learning about anti-bias education as it is related to sexual identity, homophobia, and heterosexism. I think it has to be hard for a young child to begin to feel that their self-identity is not what society deems as appropriate. I would imagine for a child who has a gender identity different from what we physically see or for a child who likes someone of the same sex, they are confused because most of their everyday things do not take into account a child that is not heterosexual. The books, toys, and movies all assume that each child is a heterosexual. I did not come across any books or movies about two moms or two dads. Storybook endings always end with the handsome prince and the beautiful princess living happily ever after.
If a parent or family member informed me that they did not want anyone who is perceived to be a homosexual or transgender caring for or educating their child, I would listen to what they are saying. I would have to take a few moments to compose myself, so I can carefully choose my words. Inside, I would feel like a confrontation was going to occur since my views are the opposite, but I would maintain composure. After I listened to their point of view, I would let them know my point of view, but I realize this will not change their mind. Next, I would let the person know that I would like for them to meet the person whom they feel uncomfortable with. My hope would be if they could meet this person as an individual, face to face, they would open up their mind. If these attempts did not work, I would have to let the person know that the person will not be let go due to their sexual orientation. I would leave it open at that point, it would be up to the parent to find other arrangements.
Marla, I had the same problem with not being able to find any books that have two moms or two dads. I have not done a Google search yet, but I know there are a few out there, I just can't remember the titles. I remember either seeing it in one of our courses or in a video I watched, but there are books that have gay and lesbian couples in the stories. If I find any, I will make sure to post them on my blog. Great post!
ReplyDeleteMarla, I was actually had the library the other day with my son and came across a few books titled "me and my two mommys" or "me and my two daddys". However you are right, there are not many out there, not enough, to have a child realize that it is considered the "norm". There are a considerable amount of books that are the happily ever after prince and princess type storyline, which is not reality overall. I also appreciate your approach with that parent, and you bring up an excellent point that if you try to point out things to the parent and they still feel this way, it is out of your hands as far as further decision. Great post!
ReplyDeleteMarla,
ReplyDeleteI love how you stated when you were confronted with a parent who did not want someone who is homosexual or transgender to teach their child, that you would compose yourself for a moment before speaking. That is such an important thing to remember and something I need to make sure I do. I tend to get passionate about things and let my passion get in the way of using a kind tone of voice. Thank you for your post!
Marla,
ReplyDeleteIn my response I too would need to compose myself because of my different views. I think allowing them to meet with that teacher would be an option but it may be uncomfortable for that teacher. This would worked though if the teacher was very comfortable with their identity though, thank you for your thoughts!
Heather
Under normal circumstance, I would also like to compose myself and then have a sincere discussion with such parents based on my belief and view But in a situation where one is working in an environment where to be gay is considered a crime it will be difficult to act this way. This is one of the challenges of teaching in another culture different from one's culture.
ReplyDelete