Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Personal Research Journey

This week we had to narrow down our research topic. I chose the effect of  social skills groups for children with Asperger's Syndrome with typical peers compared to social skills groups with non-typical peers. I chose this topic because I have always been interested in social skills.

I am enjoying the research simulation. I like the way each step of the process is being broken down so its not so overwhelming. I realize that research does not have to be something to be afraid of.

I am curious of my colleagues opinions about social skills groups and if my colleagues have had any experience with social skills groups.

I would like to share this resource that I found. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1525276/
This will link to an article on  Estimating the Prevalence of Early Childhood Serious Emotional/Behavioral Disorders: Challenges and Recommendations. But the site has journals on a variety of topics and I feel is a good source for finding credible articles.

3 comments:

  1. Great topic! I agree that this research simulation is very helpful since we are working one step at a time. I find it very exciting to read research papers and be able to identify the parts we are currently working on each week. Although it has been fun and educational, I did struggle this week with finding proper articles on my specific topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marla, The topic that you chose is one that I do not have any experience with. Reading your post has made me want to do some research on my own about this topic! I can't wait to see what you find out about this topic. I also liked the research simulation. It has made it much easier to comprehend what we are reading and doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe social skills are equally important. My students use board-marker pictures in the community to help them practice their social skills. Such as when we go out to lunch.

      Delete