Saturday, October 15, 2011

My Supports

When I think of factors in my daily environment that provide support the first thoughts that come to mind are my family.
My husband is very supportive. He is supportive emotionally. I can talk to him about anything and everything. I know I can always count on him to listen. He is also supportive of anything I do. I remember when I first mentioned getting my masters, he encouraged me to do so and when I had doubts, he encouraged me. There are so many things he does for me and our family. He does not mind going on errands, he does the grocery shopping, he cooks dinner a few times a week. We are a team. It would be very stressful without his support. I remember years ago when he had surgery and for about a month, he could not help out around the house, I had to do it all. It was very stressful to juggle everything.
My children are also my support. When I have a tough day and am stressed, a few minutes with them makes it all go away. They encourage me, especially the journey I am on to get healthier.
My dad is also my support, he is 81 years old, but I can call him anytime and tell him anything and he understands and has great advice. When I tell him my accomplishments he is very proud of me. He is one of the first people I call when I need someone to talk to.

There are other supports that I have that get me through the day. First of all, my car, if I did not have my car, things would be very difficult. I would not be able to get to work. Even if I had a way to work, my car is very important to me. I would say it "supports" me and my family. Because after work, I am on the go, running my boys to soccer, band and anything else they need.

Another support is my big calendar. I keep it on the kitchen counter and put my laptop on top of it. I would never be able to keep track of everything if it were not for this calendar, it is big and I look at it all the time. Also, my laptop supports my schoolwork. It is much easier than using the desktop computer because I can move the laptop around the house to quiet spots. If I did not have the laptop, I would not be able to accomplish my school work. I also love my text messaging. I consider this support because without texting, I would be too busy to do half of what I do. I am able to arrange carpools, any change with after school sports, my son can send me a message. If I had to call various people instead of texting it would take a lot more of my time.

If I were to imagine a challenge I would imagine if I broke my leg, how difficult things would be for me. I would want and need more supports than I have. I would  need rides everywhere and I would need rides for my children, also. My laptop and texting would help me to get in touch with people and find supports that I may need. I would have to ask of my husband more than he already does, as far as housework, errands, etc. My children would have to do more and help me with things that I usually do myself. If I did not have the supports, I would not be able to work or accomplish anything around the house.

I am thankful for the supports I have.

2 comments:

  1. Marla,
    I think it is wonderful that you can call your dad and get support. I am a little jealous. I also have a supportive husband and am very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you mentioned your car as part of your support system. I could not imagine my life without a car right now. Also, I can't wait to see how great of a support system a laptop will be. There are many times that I need to be in a quiet or more comfortable place and a laptop would be perfect for this. Great post!

    ReplyDelete