Thursday, August 4, 2011

Assessing Children

In today's educational world, you hear the phrase, "teach the test". This refers to standardized testing. The schools are pressured to get a certain score for the school, so many months are spent "teaching the test". If the scores are not what the government would like them to be, the school gets put on a probationary period. I believe in some areas the scores will always be low and it is not the teachers fault. I believe that if you view a young child holistically, you will take into account, the differences in the areas where the children are being raised. I do think testing is important to know where a child is in regards to certain standards, however, I think the school should strive for more than just a test score.

In Italy, they are also tested. I found this from the website. http://rome.angloinfo.com/countries/italy/schooling.asp
Children ages 11-14, go to lower secondary school.  Every term, each student receives a teacher's report outlining their aptitude, behaviour and achievement. At the end of the third year, pupils sit a standard examination consisting of written papers in Italian, as well as exams in mathematics, science and a foreign language. An oral exam is also administered in all subjects except religion. Successful students are awarded their lower secondary school diploma (diploma di licenza media) and move on to upper secondary school.

In order to received the upper secondary school diploma (diploma di maturità), students must take and pass written and oral exams. The first written exam requires an essay in Italian on an aspect of literature, history, society or science. The second written test is essentially a research/term paper and pertains to the student's chosen specialisation. The third exam is more general and includes questions regarding contemporary issues and the student's chosen foreign language. Administered by a board of six teachers, an oral exam follows the written exams, and queries students on what they've learned in the final year of school. The diploma awarded is dependent on the type of school attended. 


 I found it interesting to learn about Italy and their strict standards. I only hear about the United States and the complaints about Standardized testing. One thing that is new to Pennsylvania, (this is the state I live in) are the Keystone exams. They are being given to high school students in certain subject areas. If they do not pass this test, they do not pass the class. Also, in order to graduate from high school in the town I live in, the student must pass the Pennsylvania State Standardized Assessment with a proficient. This does not treat the student holistically. Students that do not test well, may not have a good outcome.

1 comment:

  1. Marla, we also have that situation in Jamaica where students leaving the primary level to the secondary level have to do a test (Grade Six Achievement Test - GSAT). The teachers just "teach the test" and the students are placed under a lot of pressure. If a really smart student freaks out and fails the test, they do not go to the secondary school of their choice and it is not a true reflection of their ability.

    ReplyDelete