Friday, June 17, 2011

Ethics

There is a code of ethics for Early Childhood Professionals. Below are three that are important in my work and how they apply to me.

1. In cases where family members are in conflict with one another, we shall work openly, sharing our observations of the child, to help all parties involved make informed decisions. We shall refrain from becoming an advocate for one party.

This is significant in my professional life. More times than not, I work with clients whose parents are in conflict.  Sometimes, I can tell they are trying to get me “on their side”. It is  important not to take sides or even if internally you feel you are siding with one over the other, it is important to stay neutral.
2. Respect diversity in children, families, and colleagues.
This is part of my professional life every day. I work with so many different cultures and diverse children, families, and staff. This is part of what I love about my job so much, the diversity of people.
3. We shall recognize our responsibility to improve the developmental outcomes of children and to
provide services and supports in a fair and equitable manner to all families and children.
This is what my work is all about. It is about improving the emotional development of children by providing services through uses of interventions.
           

3 comments:

  1. I like that you have taken a stand not to take sides when family members are in conflict with one another. For early childhood professionals to be professional, they should be objective and work openly with all parties. It is not their job to take one side over another, even where it may appear that one side is definitely wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the three code of ethics you chose. The first one is something that I really had to deal with when teaching at my last job. There were many parents going through divorces and seperations and it became hard for me to keep my mouth shut when I knew they were arguing over their child, just to argue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog! Working with a rainbow of color can become a wonderful thing or a bad thing like holiday time, special school funcation, and other parent's belief also. It takes a strong educator to make a positive change in a child life.

    ReplyDelete